View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodolin
Leader

re: Roddy Reviews - The Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug

We return to Middle-Earth as the time comes to tackle the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug!

Like my last review, I'll do a brief summarising review on here and have a link to my proper in-depth review here.

Firstly, this is definitely my favourite film in the trilogy. It's a more solid and fun film than the other two, with some amazing moments (with its own fair share of absolutely crap moments) that largely outweigh the crap. The action in this film is more stepped up from the last film, which was sort of lackluster in that area, and it's more believable than lots of the action in the next film. The CGI in this film is also much better than the other two, not quite looking realistic but certainly less cartoonish. However, there are also lots of changes from the book in this film, which is understandable, as it needs to be fleshed out enough to cover a feature film. That brings me onto another point; the scenes in this film have a smoother flow to them and don't feel dragged out as much. Although some parts like Laketown do go on for too long, but overall it's a much better film than the other two.

The changes from the book are sort of hit-and-miss. I love Gandalf and the Necromancer, I think it's a good way of tying it into the Lotr trilogy and also making a lot of sense within this trilogy. Except Azog, he was pointless. Bolg could easily have been the main villain and it would work just as well. Other changes don't work so well either. What they were going for with Tauriel and Kili completely falls flat on its face, but I shall get to that in a bit.

Unlike the first film, there are also noticeable changes in the Extended Edition, enough for me to even change my Roddy Rating between the two. The Extended Edition is much better, giving us scenes more accurate to the book (especially those ones that people were complaining weren't there) and also makes the Necromancer stuff make much more sense. Again, I'll get to those in the detailed section. 

One word, though.

Smaug.

Smaug is epic.

Smaug was just brilliant in this film.

Smaug in this film inspired our Kin name.

Smaug was just magnificent.

Smaug's CGI was amazing.

Smaug was amazing.

That's all I have to say on Smaug.

So, my Roddy Rating for the Desolation of Smaug is a nice 7.5/10.

My Roddy Rating for the Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition is an even nicer 8/10.

Well, that's all I have to say about the film in this brief non-detailed section. Make sure to click the link (here if you're too lazy to go back up) and check out the rest of the review!

Thanks for reading!

"What's kiwi fruit got to do with shoes?"
~ Rodolin McFly The Unwise
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fire and Death Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: